I provisioned a new Windows 2008 server and after installing the vmware tools I found that the mouse performance was not optimal. This is due to the wrong graphics driver installed by the vmware tools. A solution for this is to install the correct graphics driver manually ( vmware SVGA 3D). the steps are as follows. You need a reboot, so plan it.
1) Right click on the desktop and select screen resolution or personalize/display settings) and choose advance settings link.
2) Choose the adapter tab, it will show the current adapter. Here it is VMware SVGA II , click on properties
3) Select the driver tab and click the update driver tab as shown in the figure.
4) Click on browse my computer to install the driver software. the location of the driver is
c:/Program Files/Common Files/ VMware/Drivers/wddm_video
5) Click Next , this will install the driver and display the next screen below. You need to reboot the computer to take effect.
Thats it , after reboot the mouse performance is optimal and I heard this issue is with window 7 too.