Last week I installed the Q-logic CNA card on the ESXi server through vSphere CLI. It was a Live production machine.
1) Migrated all the VMs to the other machine on the cluster and put the ESXi on maintenance mode.
2) Then shutdown the machine and install the CNA adapter.
3) Power-on the server and it came back to maintenance mode.
4) Download the driver for 10GB Ethernet and FCoE from the Q-logic site ( it will re-direct to vmware site).
(we need 2 drivers here, one for Ethernet and another for FCOE. The drivers are in ISO format.)
5) Burn the driver to the cd or use an ISO mounter on your Laptop/PC where the vSphere CLI is installed. ( here I mounted on drive H)
6) Start-Program-vmware-vSphere CLI, launch the CLI and install the driver by below command
C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware vSphere CLI\bin> vihostupdate.pl --server vm3 --install --bundle H:\offline-bundle\qlgc-qlge-100.2.1-offline_bundle-261179.zip
Enter username: root
Please wait patch installation is in progress ...
The update completed successfully, but the system needs to be rebooted for the changes to be effective.
7) Install the driver for FCoE (qlg.831.k1.23vmw-offline_bundle-207277.zip) also the same way. reboot the server and it will be back to maintenance mode
Check the adapter by click on configuration-network adapters.